Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Preparations for Japan

The pictures above are supposedly pictures and maps of how my dorm looks like and where it is located.

So I just went to the Japanese Embassy to get my Visa done today... Needs 3 days to process apparently. In the meantime, I'm looking around for Student tickets at STA so that I can get 40kgs of luggage weight instead of the standard 25kgs. Hey. A full year in Japan with just 25kgs? Sure cannot make it one.

Not sure if I should get a new laptop to bring over... Since my current laptop is 3 years old so a bit worried some parts may just die and my laptop with it when I bring it over. That being said, I REALLY need to carefully consider what I need and what I don't need to bring. Toiletries are definitely on the 'not bring' list. On the fence with towels... Pads? Not sure how the ones in Japan are... So maybe I should? Coat? DEFINITELY. It'll be early autumn when I get there and full fledged winter come middle of the first semester. Quilt? FOR SURE. No idea if the dorm provides a thick enough blanket especially for winter so better safe than sorry ya? Plus it's not heavy anyways... Just bulky... Well... Nothing a little vacuum packing won't fix.

Expenses wise... Surprisingly school fees for Kyushu University is WAY cheaper than my course fees in NUS per year!!! According to my Mom is cheaper by around $7000. (Note: Kyushu University ~$2800, NUS ~$9500) So definitely affordable. 

By the way, this is NON-SUBSIDIZED. NUS didn't help me at all (So much for having a 'global approach') and told me I had to (a) sign up on my own and (b) apply for leave of absence. Makes me wonder how much cheaper it would have been if it were subsidized man... WHEW!

Need to calculate living expenses and so on... Think I'll just ask my parents to deposit my regular allowance into my account every month then I'll just withdraw from the ATM on campus. That way I don't have to worry about bringing so much in one shot. Not to mention it'll lower the cost to send me over I guess.

Had a fight with Jansen today. Sucks since I only just came back from 2 weeks of missing him in UK. Sigh... What a way to pick up where we left off. Well, that's how a relationship works I guess. Love and fighting come hand in hand.

In the meantime, I'm dead broke so I guess I'll be just 'staying in' for the next few days. A bit hard to find some part time work when I'm leaving in 2 months see? Sigh... That plus I need to save what I have left anyways for Japan. You know... Emergency money.

That and my birthday is in 5 days. SIGH. Quarter life crisis here I come...

No comments:

Post a Comment