Sunday, January 31, 2010

Yum Cha Garden Restaurant: Dim Sum Lunch

Had lunch with the family just now at this new place that opened near my house. 'Yum Cha Garden Restaurant' located inside Serangoon Garden Country Club. Dishes came in chronological order.
Century egg and lean chicken porridge. Totally good! The porridge was so smooth and the rice was cooked to the extent that the porridge had zero grains! Costs only $2.80. Sounds cheap? Look at the next picture... 
Unfortunately though... It was served in a tiny bowl akin to the size of an individual soup/rice bowl... SIGH. So actually with respect to size it was pretty expensive.
My Dad's main dish: Spinach noodles. His way of cutting down on the carbohydrates...
Prawns wrapped in steamed flour rolls in sauce and spring onions. This was good, the flour rolls tasted a bit like the Chee Cheong Fun dough but with a smoother texture.
Of course... What is dim sum without the renowned Xiao Long Bao? (In this aspect I think we are quite boring... LOL.)
Beautifully coloured dishes!
Scallop dumplings with prawn! I love the 'crystal green' dumpling skin! So very pretty! And it wasn't with green colouring! I tasted hints of spinach so I'm guessing they used powdered spinach for both colour and taste. WHICH reminds me of an episode I saw in 'Cooking Master Boy'/'中華一番'... Just the skin that is. LOL.
Chive dumplings. Completely encapsulated in a crystal clear skin! Unfortunately... I don't eat chives. LOL. So I traded a Xiao Long Bao with my Dad. (We ordered such that we would all be able to eat one of each type.)
Prawns in fried bean curd skin.
美味しいけど、食べにくい~!Tasty but f***ing hard to eat. (Yes I was THAT frustrated eating the damn thing.)
Siew Mai! I have this FABULOUS recipe I got off 'Cooking Master Boy'/'中華一番' for Siew Mai. Made from 3 different types of eggs! Definitely going to try it this Saturday when Ron and Martha come over for dinner cooked by me and Jansen.
Stuffed completely full of leek and yummy fresh prawns! (Yes for those who have been keeping track, my family apparently REALLY loves prawn type dim sum.)
Part of it is all about presentation! And this place passes hands down!

A photo is missing because I stupidly forgot to whip my camera out at that moment, and that was for Fish Maw Dried Scallop Soup with Mushrooms and Black Fungus. So just try to imagine based on my desciption ya? Super thick almost like gravy and super tasty because of probably the long cooking time and the ingredients. Served in a hot stone pot atop a wooden plank. (Ok, so I suck at descriptions.)
Fried man tou! You can never go wrong in my world with fried man tou~!
A naughty shot of our buns. LOL. Sorry, lame/cold I know.
And last of all dessert! Stuffed with red bean paste and banana! (I was too full to eat this.) All in all a good meal! Definitely recommended for Dim Sum lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment